I have been cooking for a long time and I am constantly trying to find new recipes that my kids will tolerate and my husband and I will still enjoy. It seems like an impossible task most nights. I scored huge mom points with this simple meal that pleased all of our palates. My boys really enjoyed the chicken and the rice. I knew the cucumber-tomato salad would be a fight (too much green) so I just gave them sliced cucumbers and dip instead. My husband and I really loved the combo of the chicken, rice and cucumber/tomato salad so everyone was satisfied. I have made a similar meal in the past where I grilled the chicken and made homemade hummus and pita chips. You can check out that post here. I hope you enjoy this version of baked Chicken Tzatziki, herb white rice and cucumber-tomato salad as much as my family did.
For chicken marinade:
- 1/2 cup yogurt (Paleo? Use coconut cream instead)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice + 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Pinch salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For vegan cucumber relish:
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup seeded, finely diced tomato
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 6 tbsp coarsely chopped and pitted black olives
- 4 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
**Add in some feta if you are a cheese lover like me:)**
- To prepare the marinade, whisk all ingredients together (except the chicken). Combine the marinade with the chicken breast in a large zip-lock bag or shallow baking dish. Distribute the marinade over the chicken and chill for 2-4 hours.
- To prepare the salad: combine the tomato, onion, olives, mint, dill, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Toss in the cucumbers, then cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Make 2 cups of white rice (I use a rice steamer). When rice is done, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh mint and parsley.
- Remove chicken from zip-lock bag and discard marinade. Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Let your chicken rest, slice and serve with white rice and cucumber salad.
Slightly modified recipe courtesy of Style at Home.
Thanks for stopping by~