Grilled Chicken Tzatiki
This is an excellent summer dish I recently spotted on Pinterest (I think I may need to get some therapy since I am fully addicted to that site). The ingredients are fresh and flavorful and I would definitely serve this at small gathering of friends. This recipe calls for pita bread but you can skip that ingredient if you are trying to avoid carbohydrates.
For more info about this recipe please visit Style at Home.
For chicken marinade:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice + 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Pinch salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- To prepare chicken marinade, whisk all ingredients except chicken breasts together in a bowl. Combine marinade with chicken breasts in a large zip-lock bag, seal and gently shake to evenly distribute marinade over chicken. Place in refrigerator and chill for 2 to 4 hours.
- Grease grill and preheat to medium-high. Remove chicken from zip-lock bag and discard marinade. Grill chicken breasts until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes (each grill is different). Remove chicken from grill, let rest for a few minutes and slice thinly on the diagonal. Lay chicken slices on top of each pita (or no pita for those who are following a low carb diet). Serve with cucumber salad and garnish with a little extra yogurt and serve.
For cucumber relish:
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup seeded, finely diced tomato
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 6 tbsp coarsely chopped and pitted black olives
- 4 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Lay cucumber slices in a sieve placed over a bowl and sprinkle with pinch of salt. Leave for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until cucumbers soften and their liquid begins to drain into the bowl. Stir occasionally.
- Mix all ingredients together and chill in refrigerator for a couple hours.
- Serve with Tzaktiki Chicken
- 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
- 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.
- Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).
- Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.