Are you ready to kick off BB-Q season? Do you have a “go to” recipe that you are planning to bring to your next pot luck cook out? Are you looking forward to some patriotic fireworks this Independence Day? For those of you who need a bit of red white and blue inspiration, this post is for you! I hope you get into the spirit of summer with this Stars and Stripes Inspiration Board and I hope you enjoy some of my “must try” cookout recipes, perfect for your next party.
July 4th always sneaks up on me so this year I wanted to ensure I planned ahead. I love a good cookout but I often find myself overindulging and overeating! I have put together healthy menu to get you through the holiday and/or your next summer cookout without blowing up like a firework:).
Grilled Lemon Thyme Chicken (Ina Garten)
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Pour over the chicken breasts in a nonreactive bowl.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Grill to perfection and enjoy:)
Red, White and Blue Potato Salad (From Cooking Light)
- 2 cups fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cups small red potatoes, quartered (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cups small blue potatoes, halved lengthwise (about 10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 3 hard-cooked large eggs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place fingerling and red potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Place potatoes in a large bowl.
- Place blue potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Add blue potatoes, onion, parsley, dill, chives, and eggs to bowl; toss gently.
- Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients. Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to combine. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Strawberry Mousse Parfait with Fresh Fruit and Almonds
(Adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie and it is Paleo friendly!!)
I found this recipe on Pinterest, but you know me, I had to make it my own. Chocolate-Covered Katie is a blog I follow as she finds ways to make all decadent desserts healthier. It is a great way to indulge without overindulging. This dessert is wonderfully light, fresh and creamy. You really feel like you are cheating with this creamy dessert when in fact you are feeding your body wonderfully healthy coconut milk. Coconut is all the rage right now as it is easy for the body to digest and is immediately used for energy. Who doesn’t need a bit more energy these days:). The presentation is perfect for your next party and the coconut cream and berries will keep you energized for your next game of horseshoes!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2-5 strawberries for mousse, additional strawberries for garnish and diced layering
- almonds (sliced or chopped)
- blueberries for layering and garnish
- mint for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetener to taste (Stevia or powdered sugar)
- tiny pinch of salt
- Open coconut milk and ensure it is very thick. If it is not, transfer can to bowl and refrigerate overnight. The coconut needs to be very very thick.
- Transfer the think coconut milk to a bowl leaving out any of the coconut water.
- Blend in strawberries, vanilla and Stevia
- Chop additional strawberries for layering (toss with a bit of sugar or Stevia to make them sweet)
- Rinse the blueberries
- In a pretty glass layer the following: mousse, strawberries, almonds, mousse, blueberries, almonds. The last layer should end with mousse and garnish with a strawberry and/or blueberry and a sprig of mint. Chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve. This is a great time saving, make ahead dessert!
Happy Independence Day!
Thanks for stopping by~Pin It